GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE
drive shaft assembly (21) and front plate (22
If necessary, remove fan (19).
(8) Remove two screws (23), two loc
(1) Disassemble the dc generator to the
washers (24), and two flat washers (25) to free
extent necessary for repair by using the illus-
the capacitor leads and terminals (29). Remove
trated parts breaksowns and the exploded views
four screws (26), four lock washers (27), four
(figures 3-1 through 3-3),
washers (28), and the capacitor assembly from
graphs b through d below. To remove screws
end bell assembly (38).
that are treated with sealant, hold a heat gun
hating a maxium temperature of 177C (350
Removing screws (26) also release bearing re-
F) against head of screw until compound softens
(9) Remove four screws (33) to free bear
and screws can be removed.
ing retainer (44). Remove outer race bearing re-
(2) The index numbers are assigned in the
order of disassebly, except that attaching parts
(10) Using retaining ring pliers, remov
are listed immediately following the parts they
lock rings (36 and 41). Remove outer dirt sling-
ers (37 and 42).
b. DC Generator
(1) Secure the dc generator to generator
remove end bell assembly (38). Refer to pan
graph c below for disassembly procedures of the
end bell assembly.
(2) Remove terminal block cover (1, figure
(12) Press armature assembly (45), with
3-1) and protective cap (20), if they are in-
ball bearings attached, out of open end of gen-
erator stator (48).
(13) Using bearing puller 1106038 (table
(3) Cut and discard lockwire from screw
2-2), remove ball bearings (39 and 43) from
(6) on brush access (7) and bolts (13)
shaft of armature assembly (45). Discard the ball
in end bell cover assembly (12).
bearings at each overhaul.
(4) Loosen screw (6) enough to spread
(14) Remove inner dirt slingers (37 and 42
brush access cover (7), and slide the brush ac-
and bearing retainers (40 and 44). Remove four
ces cover off the fan end of end bell assembly
bushings (34) from housing of stator generator
(15) If necessary, remove four screws (47
The last two threads of screw (6) have been
and identification plate (46).
distorted to captivate nut (5).
(16) Refer to paragraph d below for disas-
(5) Remove eight cap screws (9), eight
lock (10), and eight washers (11) that
c. End Bell Assembly.
secure the brush teminals. Using brush spring
(1) Do not disassemble end bell assembly
spings and remove eight electrical contact
parts or bearing bore metallizings is required.
brushes (8). Discard the brushes.
(2) Do not remove four electrical contac
(6) Remove four bolts (13), four lock
washers (14), four washers (15), and end bell
Remove four cap screws (2), four lock washer
rover assembly (12).
(3), four flat washers (4), sixteen insulating
washers (5), and four insulating tubes (6) from
(7) Hold the spline of drive shaft assembly
end bell (7).
(21) with shaft holding wrench QB80059-3
Do not remove cast-in bearing liner
move self-locking nut (16). Remove flat washer
(17), and impression spring (18). Remove
from end bell (7).