200 kW TACTICAL QUIET GENERATOR SET
OPERATION UNDER USUAL CONDITIONS Continued
PARALLEL UNIT OPERATION (LOAD SHARING) Continued
Operation in PERMISSIVE Mode Continued
If square symbol
on synchroscope (lower display) does not stop at center and synchronizing
lights (~V, HZ, and
) on left side of GSC panels on paralleling generator sets do not glow
steady yellow, the voltage, frequency and phasing are wrong and must be corrected. Failure to
observe this caution can result in damage to generator sets.
When generator sets are operated in parallel, a switch or external load contactor should be placed between
the generator set and load to connect and disconnect power.
on synchroscope (lower display) does not stop at center and synchronizing lights (~V, HZ, and
11. If square symbol
) on left side of GSC panels on paralleling generator sets do not glow steady yellow, shut down the generator
12. Check that load cables are connected properly.
13. Repeat steps 1 thru 10 above.
14. On incoming TQG No. 2 EMCP, adjust VOLTAGE potentiometer until yellow ~V indicator on GSC stops flashing.
(AC CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER switch cannot be set to CLOSE unless voltage is stable.
15. On incoming TQG No. 2, adjust FREQUENCY potentiometer as necessary to match generator set frequencies. On GSC
lower display, observe that the square symbol on synchroscope of TQG No. 2 stops rotating. Clockwise rotation
indicates that frequency of TQG No. 2 power is higher than load bus. Counterclockwise rotation indicates that
frequency of TQG No. 2 power is less than load bus.
When the square synchroscope symbol
is centered at top of display and stable and ~V, HZ, and
yellow indicator lights all glow steady, the paralleling generator sets are in phase.
16. When synchroscope (lower display) indicates that TQG frequencies and phases match and synchronizing lights ~V, HZ,
on GSC panels stop flashing, set AC CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER switch on incoming TQG No. 2 to
CLOSED until press-to-test green indicator lights. Generator sets are now operating in parallel with no load.
17. Immediately set SYNC MODE switch to OFF, and press POWER METER key on GSC keypad to indicate %kW.
18. Read TOTAL Amperes on the upper display (right side) and make slight adjustments of the VOLTAGE adjust
potentiometers to balance this reading between all sets at the lowest possible reading. This must be performed as
quickly as possible and repeated back and forth between VOLTAGE and FREQUENCY adjust potentiometers to
prevent reverse power and overcurrent faults.
19. Repeat steps 14 thru 18 for each additional generator set to be paralleled.