Tailgate and Hinge Block Replacement. (See figure 4-21 ).
Before removing hinge block, make sure both safety chains are hooked to tailgate
to prevent tailgate from dropping when hinge block is removed.
(1) Remove two screws (1, figure 4-21) and two flat washers (2) from one hinge block (3). Push hinge
block as far into recess as possible to disengage pin from tailgate. Take hinge block (3) off trailer (4).
(2) Unhook safety chains (5) from tailgate (6) and remove tailgate from second hinge block (3).
(3) If necessary, remove two screws and two flat washers and remove second hinge block.
(1) If both hinge blocks (3) were removed, install one hinge block on trailer (4) using two screws (1) and
two flat washers (2).
Roadside and curbside hinge blocks are mirror opposites. When installing hinge
blocks, make sure hinge pin is pointing toward tailgate.
(2) Position tailgate (6) so that hinge block pin fits into pin hole at lower side edge of tailgate.
(3) Hook safety chains (5) to tailgate (6).
(4) Position second hinge block (3) inside recess and install but do not tighten upper screw (1) and flat
(5) Rotate hinge block (3) away from tailgate (6) in recess to insert hinge block pin in tailgate.
(6) Install lower screw (1) and flat washer (2) . Tighten all hardware.